Whalley Bells: History

Early in the eighteenth century, there were four bells in the tower but the condition of three of them was so serious that only one could be rung.  This was regarded as "not only inconvenient but a scandal to such a large and wealthy a parish and a mother church of such antiquity and renown", with the result that the bells were recast and increased to six in 1741 (by Edward Seller of York). 

 

Further recasting took place after a fire in 1855 (C & G Mears, Whitechapel, London), though the number remained at six until 1924 when the bells were again recast, this time by John Taylor & Co, Loughborough, with additional metal to form a new ring of eight bells in the key of E-flat.